Our service, while similar to the program offered by the hospital midwives, is specially tailored to your Aboriginal family.
We work as a team. We look on family strengths and help you to develop and recognize these and grow in the areas you realize change needs to happen.
We will help you seek the information you need so your pregnancy and birth can be what you want it to be.
Our educational gatherings will be run with Kelly –Aboriginal Maternal Health Worker and alongside Aboriginal elders.
These will try to be flexible to your needs.
Transport can be arranged if needed and we can do these in your home so your family can be involved.
We have a special interest in supporting Teen Parents.
Building Healthy Families – Antenatal Support and Education
Come and meet up with other Mums and the friendly staff of Bullabulla for a cuppa and to learn about building a healthy pregnancy and happy baby. Meet weekly on Monday mornings 10 am to 12 midday. Morning tea and lunch provided.
Location: Tharawal Aboriginal Services, 187 Riverside Drive, Airds 2560
Please call: 02 4628 4837 for more information.
What We Do
Inspiring Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander parents to be the parents they want to be:
- Educational gatherings before pregnancy, during pregnancy and after birth of baby.
- Pregnancy and Postnatal Care at clinic or at their home.
- Care for women and baby after the delivery.
- Breastfeeding support.
- Ongoing support , education, and baby checks up to the youngest child is five
- Development of resources for families around parenting.
BLUE BOOK CHECKS
When you are pregnant you need to care for yourself because you are a carrier of the next generation of Aboriginal People.
Your baby needs you to make healthy choices now.
Antenatal & Postnatal Care
- Pregnancy care for woman who are having aboriginal baby
- Support in labour
- GP Shared care with hospital
- Antenatal Educational Groups
- Belly Casting and belly casting painting groups
- Refer and support you to quit smoking program
- Transportation & Support to Antenatal Appointments eg Ultrasounds, Hospital appointments, pathology
Postnatal Care & Child Health
- Female GP for 6 week postnatal checks
- Advice on contraception/ Family planning
- Ongoing support with breastfeeding/ nutrition advice
- Give advice and support with sleep and settling & refer to karitine if need
- Give advice on attachment and any concerns mum has for her baby Immunisations
- Baby checks, weight and length and development
- Blue books checks